- If you have trouble getting connected once, always try again. Don’t automatically assume that something is wrong with your computer’s setup. At times modems just don’t talk to each other correctly. It is always a good idea to reboot your machine and try again if you suddenly can’t get connected when you have easily been connected in the past. This should clear out the majority of your computer’s memory and make sure nothing is hindering your Internet connection.
- Don’t be afraid to go through the menu’s at the top of your browser. Go through each menu and look at the different options you have available. If you don’t know what some options mean, send the Helpdesk (email@example.com) an email and they will try to help you out.
- Learn how to use your bookmarks, favorites, or link pages. This will help you get back to your favorite places faster and easier.
- Practice using search engines (such as google.com, bing.com etc.) to find what you like on the Internet. Try different search engines and see which one gives you the information you are looking for.
- Check your mail often. You never know when you might have received an important message.
- Go through the help menu at the top of your browser to learn the features of your software.
PC Security – Keeping yourself Safe on the Internet
With malicious software (malware), such as viruses, worms, and Trojan horses on the rise, your PC security is extremely important. Make sure that you take steps to help protect your computer.
Keep your computer up to date
The Microsoft Update site helps you keep your computer current by providing the latest updates for your computer’s operating system, software, and hardware. Microsoft Update scans your computer and provides you with a selection of updates tailored just for you, including the latest updates for Office, Windows, and several other Microsoft applications, all in one place.
Install antivirus software
Antivirus software detects and removes viruses, which attach themselves to a program or file in order to spread from computer to computer. By installing antivirus software* and keeping it up to date, you can help keep your computer free from these destructive viruses and avoid spreading them to other computers.
- Norton (Symantec)
- AVG Free Edition
How to Prevent Identity Theft
Microsoft.com offers a Password checker, what this does is rates how strong your password is in relation to how easy it would be to figure it out. You can check the strength of your password by visiting their website here. Microsoft Password Checker
How to Protect yourself from Phishing and Fraud
Microsoft.com also offers a great resource on how to prevent yourself from falling victim to Phising and Fraud scams. Take a look at this information listed here. Phishing and Fraud Prevention
Service & Billing Contact Numbers:
*Foothills Communications does not provide support for any of the software listed above. For technical support for these products please refer to the vendor’s website of the respective software. Foothills Communications is not responsible for any loss of data or other damages that may arise from the use of any of the programs listed above. Any views or opinions listed above are purely that, Foothills Communications strongly recommends researching other websites as well to better equip yourself to the dangers of the internet so you can keep yourself and loved ones safe.